Chagrin Falls visit

Last week, Doug and I made our first trip to Chagrin Falls. A groupon encouraged this trip, as I had purchased one that was going to expire...last week. Oops.

So last Wednesday, we headed to Umami. Now let me pause here and tell you how much I love Groupon. It is awesome to find deals to restaurants like this, that are in places I don't normally go. I always here great things, but it's not exactly the norm for me to find myself in Chagrin Falls. So not only did we get an amazing meal- it encouraged me to explore someplace new. 

But back to our meal. So. Good. We both started off the evening with our drink of choice- mine being a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, his a beer. After the drinks arrived, we ordered the goat cheese dumplings. As described by the menu: Goat Cheese Dumplings...mushrooms, miso mushroom vinaigrette.

Oops...forgot the photo until we were well into our meal.
The goat cheese flavor was strong, but not over powering. The mushrooms added a nice earthiness to the dish. And I kind of wanted to lick what was left of the vinaigrette.

Next came our main dishes. Doug decided to go with the Udon noodles. I ordered one of the specials- a grouper dish, but it was unfortunately sold out, so I went with the scallops. And let's be honest- it's hard to go wrong with scallops (as long as they are, of course, cooked well). 

 (from website) Udon Noodles...spicy steak, shiitakes, bok choy, basil, ginger, parmesan, dashi
And of course, this isn't on the website and I forgot to write it down.
Seared scallops, crispy noodles, cucumber (was shredded like noodles), jalapenos, and
I reallly wish I remembered the sauce!



Both were delish. I definitely snuck more than one bite of Doug's noodles. I can't even pinpoint one thing about this dish that I liked- everything blended together perfectly, while still having distinct flavors- the beef, the shiitakes, mmm. 

The scallops were cooked perfectly. Served hot, with a nice sear, over a bed of chilled noodles made for the perfect balance on the hot evening. Both plates were empty by the end of our meal.

I'm not going to lie- we're broke right now. So going out for a dinner like this isn't a normal occurrence (thank god for Groupon), and I unfortunately don't see us going back until after the wedding and our funds have replenished. I'm not saying it's overpriced- it was actually very reasonable for the quality of the food and service. But we're unfortunately running on a low budget at the moment.

And since we were in Chagrin Falls- we over course had to have Jeni's Ice Cream. A three scoop sampler (Whiskey and Pecans, Honey Pistachio and Brambleberry Crunch) and a walk down to the falls was a perfect end to the evening. I'm still dreaming about that Whiskey and Pecan icecream...the BEST.

I would love to go back to Chagrin Falls- walk around more, check out more of the restaurants and sites. It is a relatively quick drive for us, so hopefully we'll be back soon!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...