The Best Thing I Ever Ate

You guys. I AM SO EXCITED. Not only do I have the ever amazing Stephanie from Life According to Steph on the blog today, but we're talking food. Steph is known to post recipes that sound unbelievably delicious and I've realize that girl loves food just as much as me. So we are partnering up to give you...






Steph: Lobster benedict at Blue Heaven in Key West. I drool thinking about this. Poached eggs on an english muffin topped with lobster and lime hollandaise. If they're out of the lobster or don't have it that day, the shrimp benedict will do. The hollandaise is plate licking good. If you're ever in Key West, you need to go have breakfast with the roosters at Blue Heaven.
 photo lobster-benedict-at-blue_zps0d98454c.jpg
Source
Margaret: I'm not a big breakfast eater, but when I am- it's Corned Beef Hash. All day. Every day. No matter what restaurant we go to, I will order corned beef hash. Side of potatoes, wheat toast smothered in butter and preferably a bloody mary on the side. Of all the places I've gotten corned beef hash, the place that takes the cake is within walking distance of my apartment (and pretty damn close to my new house too...thank the lord). Jack's is a Jewish deli right around the corner from our house. And damn, do they know how to do corned beef hash. Huge chunks of meat and onions, the perfect crispiness, runny poached eggs and a side of potatoes (hash browns, home fries, cottage potatoes- honestly I have no idea what the difference is- but I've never gotten one I didn't like).
Source

Steph: Give me a caprese salad with thick ripe tomatoes in season, fresh mozzarella, big leaves of basil, delectable extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkling of sea salt and we'll be friends for life. If tomatoes are out of season, I'll take the mozzarella sticks. I'll eat them any time, any where. 

Margaret: It's a toss up for me between two absolutely amazing appetizers. Both of these come from The Flying Fig, an adorable (and delicious) little restaurant on the near west side of Cleveland.  The first is their tempura green beans. These things are the perfectly battered and fried to be super light and not at all greasy, and are served with a ponzu sauce which I could drink on it's own. The other is bacon wrapped dates stuffed with chorizo in a smoked paprika tomatoe-y sauce. While tons of places have bacon wrapped dates, this was the first place I had them- and the sauce they serve with theirs is still one of the best I've had!

Fun fact: the owner of The Flying Fig was my dad's cheerleading partner in highschool. Which is awesome. But also makes me laugh...because my dad was a cheerleader. Only for a year I think. 


Steph: I typically order steak or seafood at dinners out. I never order chicken because it's the easiest thing to make at home. So it's weird that my pick for this is something I would never order when eating out - chicken parm.  However, the chicken parm at Palo on the Disney Cruise Line is absolutely amazing. It melts in your mouth, it's fluffy, it's more flavorful and succulent than any chicken parm I've ever tasted. It's like someone fed the chicken magic for every meal. If the chefs can make me crave a dish I normally wouldn't waste my order on, then that gets my pick for one of the best entrees I've ever eaten.
 photo 232323232-fp82-nu3235-9-8-4-9-WSNRCG359--992--339nu0mrj_zps5079cc69.jpg
lifeaccordingtosteph.com
Margaret: If we're going out to a nice dinner, it's likely I will order some sort of seafood. The first night I tried this dish it was no different. But the fact that it is one of the most amazing things I have EVER eaten is why I refuse to get anything else off the menu. The Shrimp and Grits at Washington Place Bistro. I'm telling you- pure bliss. Tons of shrimp, creamy cheesy grits, bits of chorizo and a beer blanc sauce that is making my mouth water just thinking about it. If any of you ever come to Cleveland and want to try this place, I am ALWAYS down to eat this meal. 
Photo courtesy of Bite Buff, one of my favorite food blogs in Cleveland!
She's also the reason I first ordered this dish. So I owe her one for that tip.


Steph: I will throw down with anyone and put Brothers Pizza in Langhorne, PA, up against your favorite pizza. It is not part of a chain or related to any Brothers near you.  It is delicious and cheesy and the sauce is just right. I love a slice of thick mushroom and their thin, plain, regular pie.
 photo brother_zps615d5e03.jpg
lifeaccordingtosteph.com
Margaret: I'm normally a pizza purist, and my favorite for just a good old pepperoni pizza is Mama Santas in Cleveland's Little Italy. Just damn good pizza at a damn good price. If I'm going to step out of my comfort zone, it's for the Potato Pizza at Bar Cento/Bier Markt. Super crispy thin crust with thinly sliced potatoes, crispy pancetta (which is housemade), provolone and rosemary. Just the smell of this pizza is fantastic- I love it!


Steph: Summer: mint julep with rainbow jimmies from Kohr Bros. at the shore. Any other time, something my mom makes, especially her chocolate cake with butter cream frosting or cookies. Her baked goods are excellent, I'd rather have them than dessert from anywhere else.
 photo PicMonkeyCollage2_zpsaf08114a.jpg

Margaret: I'm not a huge sweets person. My favorite dessert ever is my aunt's lemon bars. They are the perfect combination of sweetness and lemony tartness. I specifically requested them for the dessert bar at our wedding, and am still sad I didn't get one. She makes them for me almost every time we go to her place. The BEST.



Steph: I'm not even close to a daily boozer. It can literally be weeks between drinks for me. When I do drink, I'm low maintenance: give me a Blue Moon, a glass of pinot noir or cabernet, or a super dirty ice cold martini, and I'm happy. I'm not the girl trying the fancy mixed drinks on the menu, although I will have one if I'm in a tropical locale because yolo. Otherwise, I'm mostly drinking coffee (DD), water, and iced tea.
 photo pic_zpsc6145428.jpg

Margaret: Now everyone around here knows how much I love my wine. And beer. And a good bloody mary on occasion (and by occasion I mean as often as I can). It's rare that I really branch out from these. But these two drinks definitely caught my attention in the best way possible! The Moscow Mule from The Willeyville, a newer restaurant in The Flats area of Cleveland has been calling my name since the one and only time I was there. Housemade ginger beer, freshly squeezed lime juice and vodka (made in Ohio!). Holy damn was it good- and so fresh! The other is the sangria from Matisse in Chicago. In the weekend I was there for my birthday, we went here three times. Get a mix of the red and white- it will change your life.




There are currently sponsorships available for Life After Athens!! We can do an awesome post like this with my Cleveland Rocks! sponsor or sign up for a Bobcat Love sponsorship and I will write a pretty awesome spotlight alll about you!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...